Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
Adblock, Inc. is a small team that serves tens of millions of people worldwide. Our vision is to provide our users with simple, intuitive tools to block distractions, protect their privacy, and put people in control of their internet experience
Our products—AdBlock, Adblock Plus, and AdBlock VPN—have been downloaded more than 100 million times and work in all major web browsers, as well as on macOS, iOS, Windows, and Android devices. Our team has been fully remote since its inception, and we each work from whatever location works best for us.
What unites us is a desire to make it easier and safer for our users to browse the web.
All ad blocking browser extensions, including AdBlock and Adblock Plus, rely on sets of rules to determine what should be blocked or hidden on web pages you visit. These rules are known as filters, and they are provided in collections called filter lists.
As a Filter List Manager, you’ll be responsible for developing new filters and maintaining existing filter lists to ensure a distraction-free internet experience for our users. You’ll also act as the liaison between outside filter list maintainers and the Adblock, Inc. team to ensure we’re providing the best possible experience for our users. This may take the form of reporting filter list issues to filter list authors, suggesting updates to filter lists, or communicating upcoming filter list changes to the appropriate teams at Adblock, Inc.
This is a unique role that will serve an invaluable purpose at Adblock, Inc. By developing our own filter lists, triaging filter list issues, and helping with the flow of information between outside filter list maintainers, our users, and our internal teams, you will help us ensure that our extensions are as powerful, useful, and effective as possible for our tens of millions of users.What You'll Do:
What To Expect:
- Develop new filters, regularly check if existing filters are still working correctly, and adjust them accordingly
- React to feedback from our users whenever they encounter problems caused by our ad blockers and either directly fix the problem or engage with the larger filter list community
- Work with our Product, Support, and QA teams to help develop new features and make it easier for users to report issues with filter list rules
- By the end of your first month, you should have developed an understanding of existing filter lists, our browser extensions and the browser extension/filter list ecosystem
- By the end of your second month, you should have begun drafting the initial list of rules that will comprise a feature-specific filter list
- By the end of your third month, the feature-specific filter list should be ready for launch
- After the filter list has been launched, your role will focus on filter list maintenance (via reports from users and/or the Support team) and continued development (working with our Product teams). You’ll be tasked with reviewing incoming user reports and determining whether it’s a filter list issue (and resolving it), a bug (and reporting it to QA), or a user issue (and passing it to the Support team)
Bonus Points For:
- A solid understanding of how websites work; you understand that websites consist of multiple resources and how that relates to ad blocking
- Familiarity with the DOM representation of a HTML website; you understand the fundamentals of dynamic DOM tree manipulation
- Familiarity with CSS selectors including advanced techniques like pseudo classes
- Experience as a manual website testing or similar
- Experience with version control using GIT
Why You'll Love Our Team
- Competitive Salary: Our salaries are based on Radford data, a widely-used global compensation benchmark, to ensure we provide competitive pay. We don’t adjust your salary based on where you live, so you can live wherever you like.
- Comprehensive Benefits: We offer a benefits package that includes health insurance, retirement benefits, plenty of paid vacation, paid parental leave and a monthly child care stipend. The details vary based on where you live, in the US this includes medical, dental, & vision insurance, and 401k matching.
- Professional Growth: We give team members the autonomy to do their best work. Because we’re a small team, you’ll be able to immediately see the impact of your work and grow with the team. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- Fully Distributed Community: You’ll be able to work 100% remotely, yet remain well-connected to your colleagues. When we’re not in the midst of a pandemic, we meet at least once a year for a week-long offsite.
- Generous Vacation Policy: We encourage our employees to take the time they need for vacation, to spend time with their families, and to stay healthy by offering a minimum 28 days of paid leave.
- Office Equipment: We’ll provide you with a setup of your choice, based on what you need to work effectively.
We’d Love to Work With You!
We’re serious about our work but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We want Adblock, Inc. to be a place where people love their work, like their co-workers, and treat everyone with respect and empathy.
We’re a small team and our strength comes from our diversity. We strive to create an inclusive environment where differences in race, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age only make us stronger.
How to Apply
If this role sounds exciting to you, please visit https://adblock.pinpointhq.com/jobs/44289 to submit your resume. Please be sure to tell us what you find exciting about this role and why you’d like to work with us!
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/adblock-inc-filter-list-manager