MVF is one of the UK’s leading customer generation companies. We are a rapidly growing business – we topped the Sunday Times Tech Track, and since then grew 278% per annum before tripling in size again. We now employ over 400 staff in the UK and USA, and conduct marketing activities in more than 120 countries.
We are on a mission to accelerate our clients’ growth by building the world’s most effective marketing platform through a passion for data, relentless innovation and the development of world class teams.
MVF’s Technology team vision is to create the world's leading digital marketing platform that drives long-term client growth, and as a technology and data driven business we recognise the key role outstanding engineers play in helping us achieve it.
We expect much of MVF’s growth to come from great ideas our team members generate, with our collaborative approach accelerating their delivery. We strongly believe it is our team that can deliver this impact.
The engineering team delivers the unique set of bespoke products which have contributed to MVF being recently recognised as the UK's Fastest Growing Tech Firm.
Our world class technology team is expanding and our data engineering systems and processes are becoming more sophisticated at the same time.
As a technology and data driven business, we recognise the key role outstanding engineers play in helping us achieve our vision.
The Senior Data Engineer at MVF will work closely with data analysts, product engineering teams and key business stakeholders to ensure the continued performance, availability and accuracy of our business data, data products, and analytics databases & platforms.
The Senior Data Engineer will be expected to be a key contributor to the teams:
- evaluation, choice and successful introduction of new tools and technologies,
- assessment, planning and mitigation of risk, and
- analysis, identification and prompt resolution of issues
to ensure that the business enjoys continued and productive access to our analytics data.
- Define, own and communicate the vision and technical strategy of the team.
- Continue the evolution of existing products and design and develop new products to support the business.
- Architect robust solutions to solve our data engineering challenges.
- Work with other engineering colleagues to provide input into architectural decisions taken in the wider department.
- Achieve the highest levels of data integrity and quality.
- Communicate with Product Owners, Product Managers, Analysts and Engineers on priorities and technical considerations.
- Deliver, from concept to support, measurable business value through your engineering effort.
- Ensure our Data products adhere to internal SLAs for performance and uptime.
- Ensure the product quality is second to none by working with the team and stakeholders to establish key metrics, tests and workflows.
- Work with our product engineering teams to give them the skills and tools required for them to own the pipeline to expose their own data for analysis.
- Define and own best practices and ensure that the team follow them.
- Own and improve peer code review process.
- Mentor and coach other Data Engineers.
- Lead and coach others to take turns leading daily stand-ups with Engineers, Analysts, Stakeholders and Product Managers.
- Produce quality code which meets or exceeds our best practices, and participate in code reviews of colleague’s work to help them achieve the same high standards.
Nice to haves
- Commercially astute with previous Data engineering experience
- Experience working with and tuning MySQL/Postgres databases, Snowflake, AWS Redshift and/or similar data warehouse
- Experience with Java, Python or another language in a data engineering setting.
- May have experience with AWS infrastructure, and/or other cloud platforms.
- Has solid experience of ETL processes and tools.
- Has experience of working in a lean and agile team with strong focus on continual improvement
- Strong coding background incorporating readable, well-designed and well-tested code
- Can demonstrate ownership of development to delivery and use of DevOps techniques to achieve this
- People management
- Hands-on experience with Looker (or similar Data Visualisation tools)
- A strong proponent of Continuous Delivery
- May have experience with Docker
- May have experience with CI/CD pipelines
What Success Looks Like:
- The Analytics team and wider business are bought into a compelling vision and journey for our Data product
- MVF’s enterprise data is available in the data warehouse in as close to real time as possible, with a high degree of data integrity
- Stakeholders praise the speed of queries and data analyses
- The business is able to drive actionable insight from its data creating a step change in business performance
- Data engineering are seen as core to MVF’s success and aligned commercially to to business priorities, both in decision making and responsiveness to business need
- Robust solutions to complex data problems are delivered ahead of plan
- Business problems are understood and options created for their solution
- £1000 Training Budget per annum
- Unlimited Book Allowance
- Charity Days
- Free food and fruit throughout the day
- Relaxed, informal culture - no dress code
- Hours 9-5 Monday-Friday
- Monthly companywide lunches
- Gaming and book clubs
- Clubs including Yoga, Board Games, Football, Running, Volleyball, and Cycling
- Corporate gym membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Family First culture
- Regular social nights out
- Trips to Ibiza for all staff on achieving annual targets