Our digital solutions team provides services to The Economist Group businesses and is also responsible for the flagship products including Economist.com and The Economist digital apps.
We are recruiting a Tech Lead reporting to the Head of Technology who will lead the engineering standards for the eCommerce platform by balancing the business and architectural goals with engineering best practices.Working with a great host of innovative tech and other passionate developers, this is a key position within the Digital team.
How you will contribute:
- Take leadership and responsibility for the ability of the team to effectively establish and implement expected product behaviour. Proactively plans and reacts to the company goals. Works with the Product Manager, Director of Commerce Technology and CTO to influence, contribute to and validate the roadmap.
- Create, design, and implementation stories and strategies for the engineering team
- Develop and implement engineering best practices that align with overall technology goals including governance and execution of code reviews to ensure code quality
- Recommend, research, and test hardware and software improvements and new technologies for the Platform
- Encourage motivate and show the way. Fosters the environment where people can achieve their potential. Lead the collaboration and coordination of distributed engineering teams.
- Equip the product owner with enough technical information and advice to deliver the product.
- Have enough insight into the next cycle with the ability to suggest the best way to implement the solution and deliver the product. Should also be market aware, keeping up to date with competitors
- Working with product owner to schedule and identify correct timing and priority to address technical debt
- Communicate teams failings and winnings to the company stakeholders
- Document technical designs, training resources, and key engineering decisions. Ensures acceptance criteria is defined and adhered to. Accountable for output of team.
- Accept responsibility for the teams ability to perform a successful release. Provides team context and knowledge of external systems which may be relevant to a release
- Participate as a member of the technology strategy team with a focus on system maintainability and scalability
- Lead the analysis of difficult system problems and, in collaboration with team members, recommend solutions
- Responsible for change management and identifying resource and training needs for the Content Platform
- Ensure engineering teams follow accepted protocol around system security
The ideal skills for this role are:
- GoLang and client side frameworks such as React.js a plus
- Testing strategies: Unit, functional, regression etc (BDD desirable)
- Cloud implementation best practices
- Working knowledge of any of the following a benefit : Salesforce including SFMC, Zuora, Mulesoft and EZ Publish
- SOA, Microservices and the relation to DevOps : Containers, deployment and resilience strategies, working knowledge of the AWS cloud suite ideal
- A background in software engineering practices including areas such as: Codeline management, feature toggling vs branching, CI/CD, automated testing and reporting
- Curious and well read on emerging practices and trends, you will be expected to bring modern solutions to the table
- Reasonable knowledge of security by design techniques desirable
- Quickly absorb, assess situations, make decisions and drive resolutions in-flight with little fuss
- Rapidly switch ‘track’ and plans as the business strategy evolves, providing change management and course correction