Descripción del trabajo
Headquarters: Munich, Germany URL: https://www2.laterpay.net/
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Services Team. You’re an engineer at heart, with an empathetic approach to leadership, and you’ll grow a high-performing team to deliver technical solutions and build a top class product together.The Services team is responsible for building and maintaining the services that make up our developer platform. These APIs are used by both internal teams, and external developers who are integrating with Laterpay. The product is built with Python/FastAPI/PostgreSQL and we are also exploring the use of Go, DynamoDB and Kafka. It is hosted in AWS ECS and our infrastructure is managed with Terraform.As a fully distributed organization, we use Slack as our office, Jira for transparency and organizing work, and video calls for real-time collaboration (and just to hang out face to face).If you are interested in the role, but don’t meet all of the criteria listed below, please apply anyway. We understand that growth is continuous and we are committed to helping you grow at Laterpay.
- As the engineering manager for the Services Team, your responsibilities will span several different areas, covering people, team and technical outcomes.
- You’ll be an active member of the team with 5-7 backend engineers who will report directly to you.
- You’ll coach and help your team members grow personally and professionally through regular 1on1s, feedback/reviews, goal setting and career development planning. You’ll also help develop our people management practices with the wider engineering management team.
- You’ll lead technical delivery in the team, contributing to and executing on the technical vision, working closely with the rest of the engineering leadership team, product managers and designers. You’ll prioritize, organize and structure work on your team’s roadmap, while ensuring we build the right thing the right way, with good quality, sound architecture and efficient delivery.
- You’ll support the team by providing a clear vision, removing obstacles, optimizing development processes and being the champion for continuous improvement.
- You’ll advise and mentor engineers on best practices for designing and architecting solutions, including design reviews, code reviews and introducing new technologies.
Adaptable, balanced leadership styleYou understand what different situations, people or environments need from you as a leader. Whether that’s collaborating, mentoring, urgent decision making, or just having fun.Deep caring for supporting and developing peopleYou believe that people are the most important part of an organization, and your top priority is to help them grow and be happy. We want you to be enthusiastic about helping people achieve their goals and coaching teams to be awesome. Voice of clarityYou are comfortable working in ambiguity, and love to develop ideas and strategies from the ground up. You have a skill for picking apart complexity and nuance, and have a great ability to communicate that clarity to the other people around you.Understanding the dynamics of a distributed teamWe’d like you to have an understanding of the challenges of working in a distributed team, and the challenges that teams have when they’re distributed, especially around communication and collaboration. Experience of running development teams is essential, and experience of running distributed development teams would be great. Good command of English, written and verbalAs a distributed team, we primarily communicate via Slack, so the ability to clearly and completely communicate in written English is vital. We also frequently hop on calls, both audio and video, so the ability to clearly speak and understand English is also vital.
How we work
Laterpay has around 50 people spread over 15+ countries in time zones from UTC-8 to UTC+2. We’re a distributed team, though we have offices in Munich (DE) and New York (US). We care more about the things you do than your presence in a chair at a desk at 9am every day. That said, most of us work Monday - Friday from 7ish UTC to 4ish UTC, and ideally your schedule will overlap at least 4 hours (in the European afternoon). We try to be as asynchronous as possible, but still feel that we need some “synchronicity” to work well.Our values are:
- Be fearless. Be entrepreneurial.
- Simplify things.
- Own your decisions. Your successes. Your mistakes.
- Enjoy diversity and inclusion.
- Work as a team. Trust each other.
We’re proud to have employees from many different nationalities, races, genders, ages, backgrounds, educations, and levels of experience. We believe that intentionally assembling a diverse team is not only the right thing to do, but also helps to ensure we build a product that works for and appeals to an audience that faithfully reflects our communities and our shared planet.Check out our Behind the scenes blog for more insight on how we work.
- Building a remote culture: 5 lessons learned
- How to be new at Laterpay
- AllHands (biannual team event, virtual until we’re allowed to travel again)
- Training budget (€1,000/year)
- Paid sick leave
- Paid time off
- Distributed, international team
- Flexible work
- Company laptop
If this sounds interesting, please apply here and
- Upload your CV,
- Tell us a bit about yourself and your experience in a cover letter
Your application must include a cover letter to be considered.Our preference goes to candidates with a history of working with startups, or in small businesses with small to medium sized teams, ideally developing pre-market fit products.We will be accepting applications until February 3. We’ll spend time reviewing applications until February 12 -- no need to check in with us if you don’t hear anything back from us during this time!
€75k - €105k / year, negotiable based on experience and skills level.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/laterpay-engineering-manager