Surprise.com, Inc. is looking for a Head of Engineering to join our rapidly growing team in Ukraine. With offices in both Kyiv and Lviv, we are currently home to 60 world-class engineers across native mobile (iOS and Android), backend (RoR), frontend (React), data science (Python), devops, security, and other teams. We plan to double our Ukraine-based engineering headcount in 2021, so if you'd like to take on the challenge of scaling an engineering org that can ship robust, reliable, well-designed code at break-neck speed – we want to hear from you!
What will you be doing?
- Overseeing day-to-day operations of the Surprise.com engineering team in Ukraine;
- Actively participating as a member of the Surprise.com product leadership team;
- Developing organizational-level goals and driving the technical and organizational roadmap for the engineering team;
- Operating as a Site Lead for the Ukraine Engineering office (~150 estimated people across Lviv and Kyiv);
- Collaborating with Product and Engineering teams distributed across multiple offices;
- Building and growing a team of exceptional software engineers and technical leaders;
- Influencing key decisions on architecture and implementation of scalable, reliable, and cost-effective engineering solutions;
- Mentoring a team of engineering managers and senior individual contributors;
- Iterating quickly without compromising quality and raising the bar on operational excellence.
What we are looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science from a top regional program;
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer (Python/Java/Go/RoR);
- 2+ years of experience as a Software Architect;
- 5+ years experience managing a team of engineers, preferably an entire eng org of 50+ people;
- Demonstrated experience leading a large team at production scale and managing engineering with an eye to driving high-performance;
- Track record of end-product delivery in rapidly changing, fast-paced, deadline-driven, multi-stakeholder environments;
- Experience with native apps and a mobile-first product development environment;
- Hands-on experience working with, and scaling, distributed microservice-based backend systems;
- Deep knowledge in the fields of machine learning, data science, and algorithms, with experience leading such teams in real production environments.
What skills will come in handy?
- International experience working in a remote office for a US-based company;
- Previous experience partnering with cross-functional executives and management across a globally distributed organization;
- Excellent spoken and written english communication skills.
At Surprise.com, we’re committed to hiring builders who are inspired by our team’s guiding principle: to derive a tremendous sense of purpose from the inner quest for excellence itself, being driven from within to make anything we touch be the best it can be. We take pride in developing deep user understanding, obsess about the details, and go the extra mile to show our users we love them. We are first and foremost customer driven – engineering, product and design collaborate as equals to create a phenomenal end user experience. We’re also home for numerous internal teams building internally facing tools for customer service, finance, and others, to keep the operation afloat.
- A team of extraordinary people, working hard to better themselves and further our mission;
- Competitive comp and equity;
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision;
- On-site English classes;
- Modern, centrally located office overlooking the Lviv National Opera and Ballet;
- And, of course, we get Surprises internally.