Surprise.com is fundamentally changing how people work, by engaging employees and providing impactful analytics to people operations professionals. To continue scaling our impact, we’re committed to hiring builders who are inspired by our team’s guiding principle: to derive a tremendous sense of purpose to make anything we touch to be the best it can be.To deliver on our very lofty goals, we need engineers with industry-defining talent and an unrestrained drive to deliver flawless results. This role offers tremendous opportunities to build a highly scalable, highly stable, easily-maintainable back-end architecture; to push the boundaries of fault-tolerant programming; and to work with a broad range of public and proprietary APIs.
As a Data Engineer at Surprise.com, you will have the ability to shape our application, as well as to help us bring better appreciation and engagement to employees of companies around the world. You’ll work in conjunction with our data science team, and the rest of the company, in order to help us build delightful and performant software. You’ll have input into the technical roadmap, providing guidance on how to build scalable technical solutions. And you’ll help us figure out how to make the best use of our data, to give new insights to businesses.
Your typical day:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and big data technologies
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Experience in software developmen 4+ years
- Experience in database management 2+ years
- Practical experience with high-level programming languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Big Data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
- Stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- NoSQL databases: MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- Building microservices and containerized applications: Docker, k8s
- Understanding of the ETL process
- Understanding of software development process, Agile approach, and CI/CD
- Degree in computer science or related field
- Upper-Intermediate English level or higher
Nice to have:
- Experience with mining of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data
- Applied statistics skills, such as distributions, hypothesis testing, regression analysis, etc.
- RESTful API creation in Python (Flask, Falcon or similar)
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as Ggplot2, Plotly, Matplotlib
- Friendly and highly professional team
- 20 working days of paid vacation
- 15 days of paid sick leave
- English classes
- Modern comfortable office overlooking the Lviv National Opera and Ballet Theatre
- Fruits and dinners
- Possibility to have a parking spot near the office