Headquarters: United States
Aha! is a very different type of high-growth SaaS company. We are self-funded, highly profitable, and 100 percent remote. We provide the world's #1 product development software so teams can build products that customers love. More than 600,000 product builders use our suite of tools which includes Aha! Roadmaps, Aha! Ideas, Aha! Create, and Aha! Develop. And they rely on our training programs via Aha! Academy to become product development experts. We are recognized as one of the best fully remote companies to work for, champion the Bootstrap Movement, and have given over $1M to people in need through Aha! Cares. Learn more at www.aha.io.
Aha! engineering is a mid-sized, fully remote team that is highly productive. We are centered around North American time zones so we can collaborate during the workday.
- We help each other grow: We each bring unique skills to the table and want our teammates to feel valued from the start. Our onboarding program exposes new hires to the codebase and lets them contribute right away.
- We move quickly: We ship code multiple times a day. We believe in getting valuable features in front of customers and iteratively improving as we learn what works and what does not.
- We value product over process: We want the team to have the time and focus on solving complex challenges. We minimize the overhead by setting clear goals and avoiding heavyweight processes and excessive meetings.
- We share knowledge freely: We share our learnings with each other and with the developer community. Our engineering blog demonstrates how we tackle interesting challenges at Aha!
- We enjoy: We like what we do. And we want you to love your team and your job too. Learn more about The Responsive Method, our company values, and the generous benefits we offer.
Our web application is a single-instance, multi-tenant Ruby on Rails monolith supported by Postgres (database), Redis (background jobs), and memcached (Rails caching). We also run a Node.js webserver to support collaborative editing and real-time updates. Our application is hosted on Amazon Web Services and architected with ECS for reproducibility and scalability.
We utilize a growing amount of React on the front end to build rich client-side experiences, including our fully collaborative text editor and our slide presentation editor. We balance the strengths of both technologies — Rails for its conventions and simplicity and React for more powerful interactive functionality.
We embrace new technologies that help us deliver a lovable product, but we also remain cognizant of the maintenance overhead that a new library or platform brings. We solve the problems in front of us rather than prematurely optimizing to address issues that may never materialize.
We do most of our planning and collaboration in Aha! Roadmaps and built Aha! Develop so that software engineers and their teams could take advantage of those same rich features. We use Slack and Zoom for video calls. (Email? Rarely.)
Most of our features involve writing significant Ruby on Rails code so you should have experience working in a Rails codebase. We also write a lot of React but we are happy to help you learn that part on the job.
We believe that being a kind person who elevates the rest of the team is just as valuable as writing great code. You have strong problem-solving skills and experience working on important functionality for a cloud-based product. You are humble, eager to learn, and always willing to help others. You want teammates who enjoy solving problems regardless of the technologies and techniques involved. You have worked at meaningful scale before and want to do so again. You also have the below experience and skills:
- 4+ years of experience working in Ruby on Rails
- Builder of scalable, efficient, and maintainable architectures
- Experience developing features at a high-growth SaaS company
- Active collaborator with product teams
Your work at Aha!
We work on a broad range of features across the full stack. As a Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer, your work will include:
- Implementing new features for our users, touching each layer of the MVC as needed
- Building deeply interactive reporting interfaces using React
- Working proactively with product and UX to refine and iterate on specifications as the feature takes shape
- Investigating slow performance and optimizing queries to ensure Aha! is snappy and satisfying to use
- Interfacing directly with users to quickly squash bugs as part of our regular customer support rotation
- Documenting components in our style guide to help drive consistency
If this role sounds appealing, we would love to hear from you. (A real human reviews every application.)
Grow with us
Everyone deserves to reach their fullest potential. We know that when we do work that matters with people we care about in a high-growth environment, we feel engaged and alive. And our goal is to help you do just that. We offer all the benefits you would expect and more, including profit sharing. The specific benefits listed below are reflective of what we offer U.S.-based hires. We also do our best to extend identical benefits to international teammates.
- The base salary range for this role in the US is between $110,000 and $190,000
- Cash-based compensation also includes profit sharing and we contribute a percentage of your total pay each month towards your retirement
- Medical, dental, and vision plans — for many teammates, we cover 100 percent of the premiums
- Up to 200 hours of paid time off a year to spend however you want
- 30 to 90 days of paid parental leave and five to 10 days of paid care and bereavement leave
- Up to $1,000 annually for third-party education, along with paid time off to immerse yourself in learning
- Volunteer opportunities throughout the year
Base salary and total compensation are dependent upon many factors, such as: skills, experience, and relevant past roles
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/aha-sr-ruby-on-rails-engineer-1